MUNICIPAL POWERS AND FUNCTIONS
Emalahleni Local Municipalities derives its powers and function from schedule five and six of the constitution. A municipality has executive authority in respect of, and has the right to administer:
- a) the local government matters listed in Part B of Schedule 4 and Part B of Schedule 5; and
- b) any other matter assigned to it by national or provincial legislation.
A municipality may make and administer by-laws for the effective administration of the matters which it has the right to administer. Subject to section 151(4), a by-law that conflicts with national or provincial legislation is invalid. If there is a conflict between a by-law and national or provincial legislation that is inoperative because of a conflict referred to in section 149, the by-law must be regarded as valid for as long as that legislation is inoperative.
The national government and provincial governments must assign to a municipality, by agreement and subject to any conditions, the administration of a matter listed in Part A of Schedule 4 or Part A of Schedule 5 which necessarily relates to local government,
- If: a) that matter would most effectively be administered locally; and
- b) The municipality has the capacity to administer it.
Planning and development in the eMalahleni Local Municipality (ELM) occurs within the national and provincial policy framework, and provides for the implementation of the priorities as outlined in these documents. This section presents a long term development strategy for the Municipality and gives effect to the development strategies and priorities of both the National and Provincial Government while also responding directly to the development challenges and opportunities that characterises the eMalahleni Local Municipality.
EMALAHLENI DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
The vision clearly highlights the importance of creating partnerships with our social partners, with an aim of establishing a highly effective and efficient public service institution that excels in providing basic services to its communities and creating a centre for future growth and knowledge management.
Council has an understanding of our existing challenges, economic & cultural diversity and yet is determined to become the hub of efficient and effective service delivery. With an understanding of the challenges, potentials and capabilities that are existing in eMalahleni to enhance and where possible to turn around the architectural designs, planning and socio-economical limitations that were engineered and imposed on our society through the systems of the past.
“Providing affordable, accessible and sustainable quality service, enhancing community participation and creating a climate for social and economic development”
To realize the organizational Vision and Mission eMalahleni adopted the following values:
- To promote proper governance and public participation.
- To ensure efficient infrastructure and energy supply that will contribute to the improvement of quality of life for all citizens within eMalahleni.
- To improve our public relations thereby pledging that our customers are serviced with dignity and care
- To create an attractive and conducive environment for sustainable economic growth and empowerment for the business and broader communities within ELM.
- To contribute to the health and safety of communities in eMalahleni through the pro-active identification, mitigation and management of health including environmental health, fire and disaster risks.
- To ensure proper facilitation of sustainable human settlement and social facilities for the betterment of our communities.
- To provide effective and efficient workforce by aligning our institutional arrangements to our overall policies, processes, procedures and strategies in order to deliver quality services.
- To promote Spatial concentration and facilitate, manage and control integrated land use and spatial planning.
- To ensure the financial sustainability of the municipality in order to fulfill the statutory requirement.
- Next >>