Communications Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane says the postponement of the State of the Nation Address (SONA) will not impact on service delivery.
Speaker of the National Assembly, Baleka Mbete, on Tuesday announced that the speech will no longer take place as scheduled. She said a new date will be announced soon.
The SONA had been scheduled to take place on Thursday evening.
“The President of the Republic of South Africa, President Jacob Zuma, has written to the Presiding Officers requesting that the State of the Nation Address that was scheduled for the 8th of February 2018 be postponed to a date to be announced later after an agreement between the two parties.
“We would like to reassure South Africans that the work of government will not be negatively impacted upon by the latest developments,” the Minister said.
The SONA is usually an opportunity for the President to outline the country’s performance for the past year and plans for the year ahead. It also outlines government's Programme of Action for the year.
In an earlier statement, the Presidency said President Zuma had written to Mbete and the Chairperson of the Council of Provinces Thandi Modise requesting the postponement of the joint sitting of the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces, “due to certain developments which make it not conducive to successfully hold the sitting and deliver the SONA”.
“The Presiding Officers have acceded to the President’s request,” the Presidency said. – SAnews.gov.za