CHALLENGES AND REMEDIES:
- High unemployment rate
- Low participation in entrepreneurial activities and business by youth
- Susceptibility to social ills such as crime, HIV/AIDS, teenage pregnancy, substance abuse and a low number skills development and education opportunities offered by various stakeholders within the local economy.
- Uncertainty regarding the role of the NYDA especially as the NYDA act does not enable the agency to enforce reporting by government departments to the agency
- Limited resources allocated to Youth Development and often described as an unfunded mandate
- Lack of knowledge of what is entailed in the National Youth Policy 2009-2014.
- Lack of knowledge of what is entailed in the Local Government Youth Development Framework.
- Poor coordination on Youth Development Programs.
- The lack of reliable and efficient information dissemination hubs within the community.
It is important that opportunities are created for young people to enable them to deal with challenges such as poverty, inequality and unemployment which can be achieved through partnerships with other spheres of government and non- governmental institutions to ensure the availability of all the necessary and relevant interventions.